Suggested project: write Turma in Genie

See in my last post, I used Turma to find and replace all occurences of ".svg" with ".png" in the source files. Turma is such a handy GUI application to do this, but is GTK1 -- a long time ago I did attempt to compile it with GTK2 libs but got lots of errors.

Nicolas and Mark are really into Genie coding... I have a suggestion, if you guys are looking for ideas. Convert Turma to Genie code. That would fill one of the few remaining gaps in the Puppy application suite.

Yeah, I know it can be done with the 'rpl' commandline utility too:
# rpl -p '.svg' '.png' *.c

But... a GUI is nice.

Note, even the upgraded Puppy2 now has the Vala compiler!

Posted on 5 Jun 2009, 10:58


Posted on 5 Jun 2009, 19:07 by MU
no time
I already had thought about it, but fear, I have no time.
From tuesday to wednesday (8 days next week) I will visit my mom in northern germany.
I have no internet there, and plan to continue some parts, that are not finished yet.
E.g. I need a widget like the treeview, that displays/handles a table (like a detailed filelist in rox).
Both need drag'n'drop in addition.
Goal is to have classes, that can be easily used in own programs.
(with the tree class I already quickly could write some different programs).

When I'm back, already enough time has passed, so that I should start to update newyearspup again with new releases of programs, and try to track down some remaining bugs.

So I fear, I have enough work already for the next month(s), and not the time, to look at turma :(

Oh yes, and was was not yet swimming in the new lake I found just 5 km from where I live now here in the south :-)


Posted on 13 May 2011, 13:18 by muggins2

there's now a gtk2 fork of turma. I've uploaded a .pet here:

Posted on 13 May 2011, 17:08 by BarryK
Re turma2
Yes, I think that I recall the gtk2 port, it was pathetic. At least it was when I looked at it. It had hardly any of the functionality of the original Turma, to refer to it as a "port" of Turma was, well, pathetic.

I just looked at their changelog, doesn't seem to have changed much since I last looked at it. It is not really a port of Turma.

Posted on 13 May 2011, 22:09 by technosaurus
Pfind already does the finding text portion, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to add sed (or rpl) to the options. Sigmund has a different coding style than mine, so it takes me a couple reads to see what is going on.

I do however have a couple of scripts that will recursively replace strings in all files or just files whose name matches a pattern (I use it mostly to clean up Makefiles and such).
It wouldn't be difficult to make a little frontend to it.