PPM: dependency check bug

Forum member 'scsijon' was testing Wary 102 and reported issues with installing some packages.

Firefox has the dependency 'alsa-lib', which is installed but the dependency-check reported it missing. This occurs because the PET used in Wary is called 'alsa-lib21a'. Fixed. I edited /usr/local/petget/check_deps.sh.

When it installs, the Firefox PET puts up a message that a reboot is required to properly install it. Before rebooting, the dependency-check window reported 'libxul.so' missing. Yes, that is because it is located at /opt/mozilla.org/lib/firefox, and is supposed to be found after a reboot.

But, it was not found after reboot either.
I found a bug in /etc/profile, fixed.

Firefox then ran fine.

nluug.org resync
scsijon also reported a problem with the Firefox PET being corrupted at nluug.org. I logged into ibiblio.org and performed a 'touch' operation on all the Wary and Quirky PET packages to change their 'accessed' and 'modified' dates, which should force nluug.org to re-download all the PETs.

I tested installing Firefox from nluug.org, it downloaded and installed ok.


Posted on 20 Dec 2010, 15:41


Comments:

Posted on 21 Dec 2010, 8:18 by bigpup
PPM update database
A wish for improvement to PPM.
In PPM configure, if you select update now, for the data base, all the data bases get updated. Takes a very long time. What would be a very good feature is for it to only update the repositories that you have selected to use.
You select:
Puppy-lucid-official
Puppy-woof-official
Click on "update now"
Only those two get updated. That is all you need.
Love the improvements you have made to PPM!!!!


Posted on 21 Dec 2010, 17:41 by BarryK
Re PPM update long time
Yes, for you Lucid guys, I need to liaise with Iguleder, who has written a conversion tool that converts the Debian/Ubuntu pkg databases to Puppy format very quickly -- I did write that in my to-do list, haven't got around to it yet.



Posted on 22 Dec 2010, 8:15 by 01micko
iguleder
Hi Barry

Unfortunately for Puppy, Iguleder has been drafted to the Israeli Army. I don't think we'll be seeing him until he gets some leave, which could be several weeks or months.

He wrote a tool called "Pdebthing" and it uses perl scripts to do the conversion of the databases, it's fast.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=444057#444057

He also wrote "Pslackthing" a similar tool for the Slackware databases, again perl scripts:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=476606#476606

Hope these are of some use.
Cheers




Posted on 24 Dec 2010, 3:40 by PaulBx1
See my latest PPM comment?
Barry, don't know if you saw my latest comment on PPM:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62359&start=98

In other words, I am disputing your claim that a search looks in only the selected repo. :-)

And suggesting a change that makes it so. This actually fixes all search problems for me.


Posted on 24 Dec 2010, 6:51 by BarryK
Re PPM search
PaulBx1,
I tested PPM search when you reported the problem, and I tested again right now with a pristine Wary 104.

In both cases the search works as expected. I searched for "abiword" and for each of the repos 'puppy-wary5', 'puppy-quirky' and 'puppy-4' it only found the abiword packages in those repos.

So, are you using Wary? If not, using Lucid or something else, it may have some alteration that is corrupting the search code, or is not using latest Woof.

Ah, I see that you have posted in the Quirky 1.4 thread, but you are using Lupu 511.

I have made improvements to PPM searching fairly recently, and Lupu 511 is not using latest Woof.



Posted on 24 Dec 2010, 24:28 by Iguleder
Convertion
Barry, I started my army duty two weeks ago and this is the first time I touch a computer ... would you like me to upload the latest deb2ppm script? I can also share my new slack2ppm and other useful scripts I wrote as part of Pslackthing (a hobby project, see the spup thread).

I'm leaving home again on Sunday, early - so if you need any code let me know within 24 hours ... and if you need anything, PM me in the forums or email me, I promise I'll be available when I find the time :)

BTW: the Slackware database conversion code is bad, some packages have "PACKAGE" in the dependencies field.


Posted on 25 Dec 2010, 6:18 by BarryK
Re db conversion
Iguleder,
Hi, no particular rush just now.

In a week or two (or three) I would like to consider your code to speedup Debian/Ubuntu db conversion in Woof. That is the main one that takes a very long time.

Hope you are coping ok with the military duty!



Posted on 25 Dec 2010, 7:05 by Iguleder
Here it is
Here, Barry - uploaded it just in case.

Here's the copy I have lying in my dpup workshop, http://pastebin.com/Jb3EShfn

Just run it on a Debian package list to make sure it works as expected, it's very easy to modify it :)

I remember I had a problem, package dependencies were not cleared between packages so dependencies were messed up, so you really should check the script. I also had problems with the line that makes sure you passed all arguments, I used 1-4 instead of 0-3. I *think* it's the fixed script, I just have so many copies of it lying around I can't tell myself.

The Slackware one is way simpler, I can share it too but I want to play more with spup till I upload something. At the moment I'm trying to make the first 12-hour puplet ever ;)

So far the army duty is nice, but I'm waiting for my basic training to end so I can start doing the things I was supposed to ;)


Posted on 25 Dec 2010, 12:30 by PaulBx1
Maybe...
I am using Lupu511 but have downloaded your PPM code you were posting in the Wary 104 thread. I made the assumption PPM was a standalone application and could do that, but from your comments it appears that is not the case. Oh, well...