It probably was not necessary to upgrade pcre and glib, however these are required for latest WebkitGtk -- that I am also attempting to compile.
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --enable-utf8 --enable-unicode-properties --enable-pcregrep-libz
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --disable-selinux --disable-fam --with-pcre=system
For SM to use system sqlite, special config, as documented here:
# export CFLAGS='-O2 -DSQLITE_SECURE_DELETE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_UNLOCK_NOTIFY'
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu
This version needed by upgraded cairo.
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --disable-sse2 --disable-vmx --disable-gtk
WARNING: get rid of old /usr/X11R7/lib/libpixman* before compile cairo.
# export ax_cv_c_float_words_bigendian=no
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --enable-ps --enable-pdf
...note, could consider --enable-xcb -- but may be good to leave off, as wary has different xcb pkg versions in Xorg upgrade pkgs.
Had to patch it, as documented here, to use with system cairo:
Note, got compile error with --disable-jsd.
# make -f client.mk
# cd objdir-sm-release
# make package
...makes tarball in mozilla/dist/
...works, but not very stable.
Comments:Posted on 25 Mar 2011, 8:08 by technosaurus
xcb and bad linking practice
yes, updating will probably break things as they are, because the pkgconfig files list explicit dependencies. during link time this causes all libs that are linked to store its symbol in the table even if it is not used directly. if you never upgrade libraries, you get a very minor start speed boost at the cost of increased size ... until you upgrade a library, then you take a huge speed hit and possible breakage. unfortunately xcb changes api a lot, I can see why no major toolkits have sustained an xcb port.
I worked this out by removing all dependencies from the .pc files (the linker will find them at run time) and use the --as-needed LDFAG (it works even with significant library changes... you then only need to update the dependent libraries, not the apps) it ends up smaller and since none can get it just right on the first build, it ends up being faster and with less problems requiring major app rebuild.
p.s. I started a patches thread in programming with a xlib patch that cuts x11 40% by removing the large locales that I think you remove anyways... also a glibc -Os compile patch
Posted on 31 Mar 2011, 21:07 by wuwei
I wonder if you could help me with this problem
or at least steer me in the right direction.
I have replaced the warysave file with previous copies as far back as January, but the problem persists. Missing dependencies are not indicated.
Just a strange occurrence in Wary and nowhere else.
Thanks for your consideration.
Posted on 32 Mar 2011, 8:23 by BarryK
I was using Gdmap in Quirky yesterday, no problem. I don't know about Wary. Seems like a GTK version problem, as Wary as a later version of GTK 2.20.1, whereas Quirky has 2.16.6. Gdmap may have to be recompiled especially for Wary.
Posted on 23 Apr 2011, 22:37 by wuwei
gdmap in Wary
I might have found the problem with gdmap.
After changing the host name I couldn't print to pdf anymore. So I stumbled upon this thread
After following Roy's suggestion gdmap in Wary crashed repeatedly.
Finally it dawned on me that the file .Xauthority might be the culprit for this behaviour. And it was. So I undid that and used rcrsn51's method on the same page. Now gdmap works fine again.
Problem solved and thanks for your attention.