site  contact  subhomenews

Qt 5.5.0 compiled in April i686

July 23, 2015 — BarryK
As I am planning to include QtCreator in my proposed "developers April" -- "Appril" (cringe) -- I have compiled Qt 5.5.0.

I had attempted this recently, and failed. This time, persisted, and got there. A bit of a saga.

Right now, I am doing what I hope is the final compile, with this configuration:
# ./configure -android-sdk /root/Android/Sdk -gstreamer 1.0 -no-directfb -no-pulseaudio -L /usr/X11R7/lib -I /usr/X11R7/include -no-sse2 -no-sse3 -no-ssse3 -no-sse4.1 -no-sse4.2 -system-sqlite -opensource -confirm-license -prefix /usr -sysconfdir /etc/xdg -nomake examples -R /usr/X11R7/lib -qt-xcb -dbus-linked -examplesdir /usr/share/doc/qt5/examples -datadir /usr/share/qt5 -archdatadir /usr/share/qt5 -libexecdir /usr/libexec -headerdir /usr/include/qt5 -docdir /usr/share/doc/qt5 -system-harfbuzz -skip qtwebengine
<

There were fun and games getting to this point, of a successful compile! Here are some notes:

Python 2.7.6
This is the version in Quirky April, which is good, as Qt wants v2.7. However, Qt compile fails, reporting something wrong with Python. I googled around, and found that Python configuration checks something in a running kernel and configures the build appropriately -- well, my Python is compiled in T2, and this environment builds Python wrong, at least as far as Qt is concerned.

So, I compiled Python in Quirky April:
patches from t2:

# patch -p1 < ../dont-force-rebuild-all.patch
# patch -p1 < ../fix_readline.patch
# patch -p1 < ../python-setup.patch
# LDFLAGS='-L /usr/X11R7/lib' CPPFLAGS='-I /usr/X11R7/include' CFLAGS='-I /usr/X11R7/include' ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --with-system-ffi --with-system-expat --enable-shared --with-threads --enable-ipv6
# make
<

pciutils 3.3.0
Peculiar, but "make install" did not install libpci.so and libpci.pc in the T2 build. They have to be installed manually. This caused a Qt compile fail. This should be fixed in T2, but anyway, I fixed it manually, and ploughed on.

qtwebengine
After compiling for hours, Qt build failed, in the "qtwebengine" module, a dbus-related bug. I googled, could not find a patch to fix it, however, Linux From Scratch have simply avoided the problem, with configure option "-skip qtwebengine". So I did that too, and got a successful compile.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/qt5.html

/usr install
Installing Qt5 into /usr, get some things going into odd places, so following guidance at Linux From Scratch, I have added some explicit paths. Recompiling now!

Tags: linux