site  contact  history  index

EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.6.5 released

December 06, 2023 — BarryK

Version 5.6.4 was released on November 27, see blog announcement:

Release notes for 5.6.5:

The highlights:

Download, courtesy of ibiblio:

Fast mirror in Europe, courtesy of NLUUG:

If you don't know what to do with a drive-image file, this page explains how to write it to a USB flash-drive:

Or, if you want to install direct to an internal hard drive:

Of course, if you already have EasyOS running, just click on the "update" icon on the desktop. Updating from 5.6.4 is only a 6.6MB download.

Feedback is welcome at the forum:    

Tags: easy

Global IP TV Panel 2023MK7

December 05, 2023 — BarryK

I updated to MK6 just a few days ago. Now bumped to MK7. See forum:    

Tags: easy

p7zip compiled in OE

December 05, 2023 — BarryK

7-zip is a compressed file archive format, and p7zip is the Linux port. 7-zip homepage:

The guys are discussing implementing p7zip in Easy:

I have compiled p7zip in OpenEmbedded, and added it to the EasyOS package-list, so it will be builtin. I also fixed the mime-handling, so if click on a .7z file it will open in Xarchive, or right-click on a .7z file then Xarchive will be offered in the menu. Rox will also display .7z files with a suitable icon.

Here are the woofQ github commits:    

Tags: easy

download_file rewritten

December 05, 2023 — BarryK

This has been on the to-do list for a very long time, and is going to please a lot of people.

PKGget, and other scripts, call /usr/bin/download_file to download a file from the Internet. The complaint is that the download window is in all virtual desktops, and is always on-top of other windows. This makes it difficult to do other work while a download is in progress.

The download_file script goes back a long way. It started life in 2010 and had input from various people, and has remained essentially the same up to now. I was curious about it's status in woof-CE:

Looking at the changes committed over the years; just details, it has remained essentially the same as my original version. Here are the woof-CE commits:

Essentially the same; there has been some deviation. I added an abort button in 2015; that was two years after leaving managing the Puppy project, so that button is not in the woof-CE version.

I have now rewritten it so that it is now a normal window, that does not force itself to always be "on top", nor does it appear in all virtual desktops:


...notice also, the progress-bar, instead of rows of dots.

Here is the commit to woofQ on github:

So many changes; it might be more meaningful to view the complete new file:

This could also be used in woof-CE, except that I have dropped all of the PUPMODE handling code. Which would be easy to add back in if required. It does require gtkdialog be compiled with vte (virtual terminal) support, which may not be the case with some pups.       

Tags: easy

Rox Customise Menu entry removed

December 03, 2023 — BarryK

The problem is discussed here:

I have solved the problem by removing "Customise Menu..." entry from the right-click menu. Commit:  

Tags: easy

Fix abort loading NVIDIA SFS in initrd

December 03, 2023 — BarryK

This mechanism was posted about in this blog post:

This is in Easy 5.6.4; however, it doesn't work. All NVIDIA SFSs get rejected. The test should be:

lspci | grep -qF 'Class 0300: 10de:'

The fix is in this commit:

Now, with the next release of Easy, the NVIDIA SFS will not load if there is no NVIDIA GPU detected, otherwise will load. This is for booting a USB flash stick on different computers.   

Tags: easy

usr-merge fix for kirkstone container

December 03, 2023 — BarryK

On my Lenovo desktop PC, I have been updating the EasyOS installation from before the change to usr-merge folder hierarchy.

Running Easy after having updated to 5.6.4, clicked on the "kirkstone" icon and got the desktop in a container, except a couple of broken icons and the wallaper didn't display.

One problem was /mnt/wkg/containers/kirkstone/.session/usr/sbin was an actual folder, created from before usr-merge. The 'globicons' file had a path "/usr/sbin" whereas it should now be "/usr/bin". These issues are now fixed, see commit:

So, after 5.6.5 is released, you will click on "kirkstone" and get a correct desktop.    

Tags: easy

Global IP TV Panel 2023MK6

December 02, 2023 — BarryK

I have updated ETP's streaming TV PET, to 2023MK6. See forum:  

Tags: easy